Saturday, November 19, 2016

Rations & Irish friends

In high school I told an Irish friend that my mom used to "ration" our food -- i.e. we had to have a base amount of sources of  proteins, vitamins, roughage, etc per meal. Once we had had our basic portion, then we could have helpings of whatever else we wanted. We were not allowed to leave the plate unfinished, for our base helping or for any additional helping we may opt to add.

I still don't see anything wrong with this approach. I am always shocked how much food is wasted during any habesha digis, which has always struck me odd. While growing up I was told qunTan was newr.  As for leftovers, they were never leftovers, because if we somehow insisted that we couldn't finish a meal and won the appeal (maybe once in my life?), then we'd have the remaining food the next meal. So, what leftovers? Just next meal's appetizer.

I don't know why I just remembered this, but it cracked me up. However much I assured my Irish friend that the rationing was to maximize the min, rather than to cap the max, she was horrified ... now looking back, I think stereotypes associated with my nationality may have had something to do with it.

LOL.

No comments: