Friday, June 02, 2006

Tintin and Tutu

At first when I saw the headline I thought, 'surely, it must be another Tintin'. On BBC it said, "Dalai Lama awards Tintin and Tutu".

So I clicked on to see who on earth named their kid Tintin. To my initial relif, and subsequent amusement, it turned out it was good ol'Tintin of Tintin in Tibet , an adenture which, over half a century later, won him this award.

So the Delai Lama honored Tutu and Tintin in the same berath?!?! Ha ha! (well, the award was for the Herge Foundation, established in
memory of the author of the Tintin cartoon adventure books ... but that's a minor detail you don't get to until 10 years into the news article.)
In his speech, Archbishop Tutu paid tribute to his friend.

"I give great thanks to God that he has created a Dalai Lama," he said. "Do you really think, as some have argued, that God will be saying: 'You know, that guy, the Dalai Lama, is not bad. What a pity he's not a Christian'?"
Hmm ... I wonder ... what did Tintin have to say?

I liked Tintin. I guess I still like Tintin for old times sake. But since growing up, looking at some of the pictures, I'm less amused by the depiction of black characters. They're so ... Bamboozled!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha...

interesting, I feel both the Desmond Tutu and the Lama are too commercialized...